Birds of a Feather
Around the world there are at least 10,000 species of birds! Birds come in a large variety of shapes, sizes and colors. Each species is adapted to fit into a special place in the environment. Birds play an important part in ecosystems. They are vital to the food chain as a consumer as well as being food for animals and even other birds. Birds eat 400-500 million tons of insects a year. They also eat seeds, lots of them. The seeds are spread throughout an ecosystem when the bird poops. The hummingbird is a pollinator, helping plants to grow. Vultures feeds on dead animals, keeping the ecosystem clean and free from disease. Our world would be a lot different without birds!
Birds need us, too. Pollution, habitat loss, pesticides and even outdoor cats threaten bird populations. With this Club SciKidz lab box, you will:
- Become a junior ornithologist and learn about different bird characteristics.
- Discover what an owl eats.
- Use feathers to craft a dreamcatcher.
- Build your own bird’s nest.
- We’ve included a really cool piece of equipment and some fun secret formulas. Don’t forget to look for the science surprise!